Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just call me Lerato Mnisi

This past weekend, I found myself in the kingdom of Swaziland for the bishop elections of the ELCSA Eastern Diocese! Fellow YAGM volunteer, Christine Doidge had invited me to the 2 day meeting of delegates throughout the diocese which encompasses Swaziland. At these two special days, among various reports, debates and lots of singing, Christine’s host dad, Dean Mnisi was elected as the new bishop of the diocese! It was such a successful, peaceful and exciting election but I had no idea that I was just glimpsing the surface of what an exciting event it was for the family and for the diocese!

After the election, I got to spend some time with the Mnisi family and Christine in their hometown of Carolina, which is in a rural area of SA about 3 hours East of where I am in Bonaero Park. The love, hospitality and faithfulness I was immediately made a part of filled my heart with such joy and peace. It was a fantastic, unexpected experience to find a home so far from home. =)

Just a few minutes after meeting Ma Mnisi, she was introducing me to other people at the meeting as Lerato Mnisi. Lerato is my African name. =) Given to me last weekend by my friend Thando, Lerato means “Love” in Sotho, a language mostly spoken in the Northern regions of South Africa. Thando, one of my best friends here, gave me this name because her name, “Thando” also means love! Thando means love in IsiZulu which is one of the most common languages here, and mostly spoken in the Southeastern region. And Mnisi, my new surname, means “rainmaker”!

So if you want to try to pronounce my new name… here’s some tips.
Lerato: don’t pronounce a hard “R”. It’s not Le-Rato. Instead the r is almost like a quick D… if that makes sense. =) “Leh-dAH- toe” almost… haha
Mnisi: Start with a bit of a hum… then say nee-see. “m-NEE-see” =D Good luck!

From the very first day when the Mnisi’s slaughtered a “welcome chicken” for me, to this morning when they demanded hugs and pictures before I left, I’ve never felt more completely and freely invited into someone’s home, family and heart. From the first moments with them, I was made part of the family. This meant I was expected to take part in daily morning and evening devotions. I was a part of making and serving the meals. I even became the go-to person for fixing the new DVD player… Haha. So if I was reading or working on making dinner with Christine, I knew my assistance was needed when I heard “Lerato!!” being called from the living room. =) It was wonderful to feel so at home and I was grateful that they were so comfortable treating me as one of their own children… and Lord knows that children are there to serve!

Although I didn’t necessarily DO a lot this week while serving with Christine, it was wonderful to work in the Mnisi’s garden, weeding, picking spinach for customers, delivering orders to town and generally experiencing life with the family. Sometimes the most important thing we can do in life is open our heart to what we are experiencing… becoming fully present to the people around us and completely devoting our attention and time to others. Showing another person they are worth our time and our love may be the most valuable ability we have. Never underestimate the worth of an open heart. The Mnisis taught me this weekend that there is no greater gift than this.

3 comments:

  1. "Sometimes the most important thing we can do in life is open our heart to what we are experiencing… becoming fully present to the people around us and completely devoting our attention and time to others."

    i love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, every time I try to e-mail you at your gmail address, it gets returned. I just wanted to let you know that I saw your newsletter for the first time yesterday - posted on our synod website! Would you please put me in your mailing list for this?!

    I also wanted to tell you that I made copies of your newsletter and I am distributing to the LYF participants this weekend!

    Your in my thoughts and prayers - Blessings!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! I also tried emailing you and it came back! Are you emailing the right address for me? amandat527@gmail.com ? Try again. In the meantime, I'll try emailing the couple of addresses I have for you- or you can send me a facebook message with your active email address. Thanks! Hope we can work it out soon!! =)

    ReplyDelete