Thursday, October 28, 2010

Teaching in Tembisa... a moderately traumatizing experience. =)

A new day and a new adventure! I got out of bed earlier than I have any other time this year to get ready for another day at school. On this, my second day at Mrs. Mathe’s school in Tembisa, I had no idea what I was in for. Tembisa is a township nearby where I am staying in Bonaero Park. A township is an area that was designated during apartheid to be a black-only area. Thus, when you drive into a township, you find that in the space between the city of Joburg (which was whites-only during those times) and the township, there is a buffer-zone of several kilometers where there is nothing. No houses, businesses or cross-streets. Although there are no longer laws that require townships like Tembisa to remain exclusively black, it is the reality that not much relocation has occurred since the end of apartheid. Thus, I was rather noticeable around the school grounds and the children on that first day were rather shell-shocked by the fact that I was there.

My first day at the school had been relatively tame despite the stares. I’d helped with Mrs. Mathe’s 4th grade class and we were talking about religion! One of my minors in college. I felt that I was put to good use and the people and kids were excited to have me there.

On this, my second day at school, however, I would experience the break-down of those barriers and a complete destruction of my expectations! The day started like the day before had. We pulled into the schoolyard with what felt like a million eyes on me. We parked the car and Mrs. Mathe’s students unloaded the contents of the trunk- boxes and bags of papers and teaching resources. We then began the day and I was asked by one of the 7th grade teachers to come into his class to talk to his students. He said I could talk about whatever I wanted. After some initial awkwardness and introductions, the students were suddenly teeming with questions about America and about my life there. They were just about to make me sing for them when we were interrupted by the principal knocking on the classroom door. I was called out and told that one of the 4th grade teachers hadn’t shown up that day and I was asked if I could take over his Natural Science class. After freaking out for a moment and getting a book from Mrs. Mathe to help me out- I found myself just a moment later approaching a classroom where I could see the children inside were yelling, throwing papers around and wrestling with each other in the absence of an authority figure. As soon as I appeared in the doorway, I was ambushed and nearly knocked over by just about every student in the classroom coming to hug me- cheering that I was their teacher for the day.

Throughout the day, I attempted, often to no avail to keep order in the classroom. I didn’t realize until I was in front of a class of 40 distracted 11 year olds how handicapped I am by not knowing a language here! Most of the children in the class speak isiZulu- which I am slowly learning, but this was like being thrown into the deep-end of a swimming pool when all you’d done prior was wade in to your knees! The students could understand English, but when it came to being able to clarify their confusions, it was difficult for them to communicate with me their issues with the lesson. Also, try sometime getting the attention of children in a language that is not their native tongue. Not very effective!

So, after a long day with lots of challenges and moments of relief (as when Mrs. Mathe visited my classroom and sent several kids to the principal’s office) I finally reached the end of that long day. Moderately traumatized but with a new sense of appreciation for the teachers there, the difficult task they face head on each day, and the power of language.

As a lover of learning, there were elements of this experience that made me consider my own education in the states and the blessing it was to have the opportunities I did. Had I been born in an area like Tembisa with the distractions, limitations and challenges of education faced by students there, I’m not sure where I would be. As difficult as it was to teach in this environment, I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to attempt to learn in an overcrowded classroom with a teacher who cannot be expected to control the behavior of 40+ kids. And yet, despite it all, there are students that succeed and excel there.

I took a break from 4th grade at the end of the week and ended up spending several days with Grade R, which is equivalent to Kindergarten. =) It was wonderful working with the little kids as they learn to count and they learn important things like how to wash their hands and such. I am looking forward to working with the school on a regular basis during the weeks ahead and I’m excited about the experiences and insights that the future holds there. And hopefully, the next time I am put in front of a classroom I will at least be able to say “Settle down” in isiZulu! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment